Sunday, October 16, 2011

return to Rome

I think the last time I was in Rome was the summer after my junior year in college, which I had spent in Stuttgart Germany. I hitchhiked with a girlfriend around Italy, and Rome was part of our journey. That has been a couple of years and my memories of Rome have faded to just a few places: the coliseum, the Sistine Chapel, the Spanish steps and the Trevi Fountain (better remembered as the backdrop for "Three Coins in the Fountain"). So here I am at the Trevi Fountain again. sorry I am not able to edit my photos on my iPad to lighten up the shadows on my face but at least you have a nice view of the fountain. It was tough getting a picture at all because there are so many people jockeying to do the same thing. As you aim your camera you are constantly getting someone's arm, backpack or camera in your picture.

We have had a lovely day walking slowly around Rome. It always amazes me how many buildings are tucked in cheek to jowl in large, old European cities. and in Rome sometimes one century is built on top of the other, very evident in the ruins we saw.

Tonight we will go out to a restaurant recommended by the concierge at our hotel as one that locals go to, not tourists, to celebrate my 71st birthday. What a nice place to celebrate it!

No comments: