Sunday, May 19, 2013

Coimbra University

On Saturday we visited famous Coimbra University, which is housed in a former castle. It was given to the University by King John I (I think it was John the 1st...apologies if I get a bit of my history wrong--I didn't bring my guide book to the Internet place to double check facts). It sits on tops of the hill that crowns Coimbra, because it was originally a fortification to protect the town. A gorgeous setting and some lovely buildings. The old library is stunning, with lots of old leather bound books in Greek and Latin, dating from the 1600s and before. You can't take pictures inside, so you will have to imagine four stories of books on walls with the wood trim covered with gold. Elaborately carved legs holding up ornately inlaid large library tables. There is also a beautiful chapel which we were only able to glimpse because they were having a mass there. And the main ceremonial room was being used for an academic ceremony..so we couldn't see inside that either. what we did get was a view of faculty professors and administrators in their pompous regalia, so that was fun. I'm sharing a picture of the large courtyard around which are all these significant buildings, a picture of the lovely door to the library, and the well known iron gate entry to the courtyard, through which new and graduating students ceremoniously pass.





No comments: