Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Round 2A - so far much better!

I managed to get myself put back together sufficiently that they proceeded with Round 2- part A of my chemo on Tuesday. This time I think I (and the doctors) are much better prepared. My diarrhea has resolved itself for the moment, though they predict it may well return. But a little bit of lessons learned will tell you why I think it should go better.

1. I have sleeping pills this time around to counteract the steroids I have to take with my first part of the dosage, and so this week I am getting sleep, unlike last time. I’m rested, and feeling quite good.
2. They also noted that I was borderline anemic in looking at my blood tests from Monday, so I’ve been put on weekly injections of something to counteract that. What it seems to have done so far is get rid of the lightheadedness I’ve been experiencing, so that’s great!
3. If the diarrhea hits again, I’m prepared. I’ll hit it right away with the medication—no waiting or worrying about constipation.
4. I will also hydrate myself much better, and not just with water, but with something to replace electrolytes. I don’t care for Gatorade, but got a recommendation for a nice product made with natural fruits, with added potassium and sodium—called Recharge, and can be found in health food stores. Tasty, and it works.

I’m so put together that I’m feeling quite good about heading for Tucson in the morning, where I’ll indulge in several days of cavorting along with some serious thinking with my Fielding alums about what kinds of projects we might want to engage in together. It will be hot (predictions run from 99 tomorrow rising slowly to 105 when I return on Sunday). Supposed to be a nice resort, and they’re good people, so I’ll have a great time.

It’s nice to feel like me again! Still waiting for the hair to decide what it will do. It’s thinning every day—so it will probably pick a nice time in the middle of my Fielding workshop to all fall out. I’m taking scarves, and know I’ll be among friends, so not worried. Leaving the wig at home, even.

More in a few days.

No comments: