After all the big buildup in my head, the actuality was tame. At least so far. I had two things done today. First was to have an infusion port installed—minor surgery. That process went very well, and my only result at the moment is a slightly sore shoulder where they made the incision and installed the port. One incision, with the port inserted just below my right clavicle. I’m supposed to take some care to avoid getting it wet for a few days, and watch for any sign of infection. Also supposed to take it easy with strenuous exercise, so I will skip rowing tomorrow and attempt to be judicious at rowing camp up in Canada this weekend.
The infusion itself went without a hitch. I felt nothing. They brought me breakfast following surgery, which I ate as I was getting started on the infusion. No nausea. No reaction. Just sat and read for a couple of hours while they let the two chemicals drip into me. The biggest impact has been the steroid, which I took yesterday, got another dose of today by IV, and then have to take again tomorrow. I had a little trouble getting to sleep last night, may again tonight, and tomorrow. Then I’m told I may feel a let down when I come off them Thursday.
Now I am to watch for any symptoms. The chemicals I’m taking are apparently pretty good about not causing nausea. I may experience fatigue, especially in later rounds as my red blood cell count gets lower. Might have some arthritic-feeling aches and pains off and on. We’ll just have to see. At the moment I feel a bit like an idiot waiting for a train wreck that didn’t happen, since I feel perfectly normal. Actually, that’s a very nice feeling to have.
I had two drugs today. Next Tuesday I return for round A-2, in which I get just one drug. Then I’m off until round B, which will start on June 24. So imagine and encourage all those chemicals running around in my body to do their job well, gobbling up the quick-dividing cells, the fastest of which are cancer cells, if there are any. Ask them to minimize the damage to all the other fast-multiplying cells while they’re at it! My hair may apparently stick around for a couple of weeks more, so I won’t get it cut short until next week. I have ordered a bunch of hats, caps and scarves to play with, and also have a wig that I am going to have my hairdresser style a bit. So we’re off and running.
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment