Saturday, June 21, 2008

Inch by Inch


Here’s the new “waiting for the hair to fall out” haircut. It’s basically the one I usually get before leaving for our 2-month cruise, just a little shorter. My hair is beginning to thin, so I am waiting to see whether “thinner” or a complete windage reduction package is what I’ll get. The nurses said “day 17” for hair fall-out and we’re now on day 19, so I’m just going from day to day. I am carrying a scarf or cap with me most places I go, just in case it decides to slough off while I’m in public!

I think I can now see that my diarrhea bout is improving…but it’s still slow. I am still taking medicine for the diarrhea, but my abdomen no longer yowls at me when I go over bumps in the car and getting about is a bit less painful than several days ago. It is still uncomfortable to walk—the jarring motion is enough for my body to complain. That said, I managed to get a gym workout in yesterday and went rowing this morning. Fortunately you sit while rowing, so all I have to do is move my arms and legs to keep up with the rest of the crew. It felt great to get some exercise and fresh air!

After consulting with the doctor’s office on Friday, I’m planning to start the steroids on Monday so that if the blood tests are ok, we can go ahead with infusion cycle #2 on Tuesday. I will see the doctor Tuesday morning to review the blood tests and confirm whether or not we proceed. I will also get some sleeping medication on Monday to hopefully help me combat the insomnia from the steroids, and if I can get my intestines back in working order, I should hopefully do okay.

In between all of this, Phil and I are working to put the boat back together and get it ready to launch. Phil moved the launch date back to July 8, both because he wants to be more sure how I’ve done with this second round of chemo treatment, and because we’re having trouble finding enough nice days to complete the outside work that needs non-rainy weather to be done. And I am also putting the finishing touches on the final leadership session I will conduct from July 11-14 and continuing to work on the transition with the new director.

I am scheduled to fly to Tucson on Thursday (returning Sunday), to spend a few days in a Fielding workshop for alums. This has been planned for a year, with reservations made before I was diagnosed. I’m looking forward to having a good time there, so I just need to gather my body together so it can enjoy itself too.

2 comments:

Dorian Gray said...

Hair or not I find you be an amazing beautiful person and I wish you all the best in the world!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kae. Thank you for doing your blog. You are helping all of us, including those of us who do not (yet) have cancer, to face the fear that most of us face in one form or another as we age (I'm 67). It's more or less easy for me to distract myself, but I know its power. In 1992 an ultrasound showed I had 16 lumps in one breast. Surgery ultimately confirmed that the 3 removed were benign, and the others disappeared of their own accord. Nevertheless, fear caused my blood pressure to drop drastically right before surgery, and it took all my concentration and a very good nurse to get me stable. I'm generally a pretty positive person, never sick (so far) and have little or no contact with doctors, hospitals, and the rest, so my experience was enlightening as to the power of fear, but also my own power to fight back.
We're sending positive energy across the street to your house. You're a sterling person with a wonderful family.
BTW, being named Karen isn't so bad!
Karen P