Monday, April 21, 2008

Another week of waiting

This is the week where I find out what my life is going to be like for the next few months. Pathology reports are supposed to reviewed by a Tumor Board at Virginia Mason tomorrow. Thursday I meet with my surgeon to go over the results and hear the recommendations. I’m busy enough that the next few days will move by quickly, but I’m also wanting to get on with the next steps. I think. I’m actually in a sort of nice phase right now, feeling more like myself each day. The idea of having to head back into something that is going to make me feel worse isn’t exactly appealing, I have to say. I have to encourage myself to just put my head down and slog into the wind!

Meantime I really am making great progress with my physical well being. Managed to get through yoga classes last Thursday morning and also Sunday morning. Like my experience at the tango class, the activity that got to me was twists, so I took it easy on those, as well as some tummy crunches in the Sunday class. Interestingly, being inverted, with my head lower than the rest of my body (as in a shoulder stand) feels really great! I also put in 4 hours as part of the general rowing club cleanup crew last Saturday morning, avoiding lifting, but otherwise working in insanely cold 35-degree weather to contribute to the general cleanup of boats and boathouse at Pocock Center. I follwed up with a nice long nap that afternoon.

I am pretty much back up to my normal speed of walking. Have had to skip a couple of walks due to other things on my schedule, but I should be back to the full routine next time I walk. Some of my friends have remarked that my step is back to normal speed and I am standing fully straight. I was certainly aware of a tendency not to stand straight when I first came home, but hadn’t realized that it showed that much after that.

Most days I am not napping, but I do tire myself out periodically and knock off a couple hours of sleep (today, for example). My challenge is to continue to find some quiet time in the middle of the day, even if I don’t nap. It’s easy to let my schedule run me around, as usual. Discipline!!

No comments: