I'm sitting in the Seattle Public Library, which I made my way to from the boat via climbing SLOWLY up several steep hills, and using a bus, catching up on email and using their internet. We got in to the marina about 12:30 today, after a too-quick passage up from Tacoma which got us to Seattle sooner than we wanted to be, so we had to dawdle a bit to be able to check in to the marina.
We finished up two great days in Tacoma, including a very interesting exhibit at the Tacoma Art Museum that we saw yesterday--a modern day project to create a hand-written version of the Bible in English, in the format that was originally created by the monks (BIG pages - like 2' wide x 3' tall), and also using the traditional calligraphic methods, writing with hand-cut quills and inks as they were made. However, the illustrations are all contemporary, and quite spectacular. I would not have expected to enjoy it so much, but it was a tremendously intriguing and stunningly executed project. There was also a very interesting vocal installation that was playing a Thomas Tallis 40-voice motet composed for 8 choirs, with individual speakers feeding in the four voices in each of the eight choirs. It was a thrilling experience to stand in the middle of those speakers and hear the entire chorus come in.
This morning we had a nice breakfast chat with Nina Rook, and then got underway. This evening we will meet Phil's usual Monday-night drinking crew down at the waterfront, and tomorrow our house-sitters, Charles & Valerie Reynolds are coming down to see us. Meantime, I'm exploring how to get places and find the things I need. It's quite fun to come at your home town from a brand new perspective.
Wednesday we will head south again, stopping that night at Quartermaster Harbor on the south end of Vashon Island, and Thursday night at a little bay Phil found, somewhat nearer Olympia. Friday we will make our way into Olympia to see how our capitol city looks from the water.
We'll see how tomorrow's Group Health experience goes coming at it from the water side too. I'll post more when I can get to another internet site--probably Olympia.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment