Sunday, July 27, 2008

Olympia - our lovely state capitol

We’ve been in Olympia since Friday, where we met up with son Guy and his girlfriend Joahnna, after Guy flew up in his plane from San Jose. They had a good flight, and we’ve had a nice time walking around Olympia, locating good bookstores and restaurants. We also took a tour of the capitol yesterday – and lovely building with one of the largest collections of Tiffany lamps in the country. Some very impressive fixtures, indeed.

The round of diarrhea from this last infusion I seem to have dealt with pretty successfully, so I think I have now learned to manage the impact reasonably well with the medications that I have. What threw me for a loop was a mouthsore that came on Wednesday and was one of the worst I’ve ever had. The pain was so bad it kept me awake at night and my tongue was swollen enough to make it difficult for me both to swallow and to talk. After trying to manage it for 3 days with Extra-Strength Tylenol, I check in with my trusty consulting nurse service, who suggested getting it checked at Urgent Care here in Olympia. Guy and I had an adventure figuring out how to get there by bus, but managed it, and with a more powerful painkiller on hand, I am now back in the land of the living. It’s absolutely amazing how thoroughly pain can wipe you out.

Now we need to get going to get Guy and Joahnna back in the air, and us on our way. We’ll ride out to the airfield with them to get a look at his plane, and then stock up on a few groceries when we return, because we plan to hang off our anchor for a couple days. Docks are handy, but being quietly by yourself at anchor is even better. So probably won’t check in for several days. Perhaps you can each find your “at anchor” spot somewhere for yourself.

No comments: