Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Relief!

This morning I had the appointment I had been most concerned about…meeting the oncologist at my primary care (& insurance) provider. With great relief, I found that he’s pretty much in agreement with the treatment that was recommended by the oncologist I saw last Friday (who was part of the Tumor Board review team). So I will not have to fight a battle to get chemotherapy or radiation, if that is what I decide I want.

The challenge now is to see if there is any consensus about my treatment among the three oncologists from whom I am seeking advice. Two of those I have already seen, and they concurred with each other, recommending the same chemotherapy regime and feeling there is not much to be gained from radiation. The 3rd opinion will be the oncologist at UW, who will be putting my pathology slides through another Tumor Board review there. His initial reaction to my pathology report went in a totally different direction: radiation. I should know more next week about when that UW review and my meeting with him might happen.

If I end up with quite different recommendations surfacing from these three oncologists, I will be left with a difficult decision to make. More learning to do. Life is certainly not dull!

No comments: