Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Badlands

Last night we stayed in the small town of Wall. We walked this morning from one end of town to the other, and then side to side and had trouble getting 30 minutes in. But the good part of bring in Wall for the night occurred this morning, when we were able go drive due south and enter the Badlands National Park. It was a different version of the spectacular erosion scenes in Utah, with subtle colors ranging from pale yellow to lavendar to grey. We were able to get the early so had some nice light to take photos, though by the time we left the park at 9 am the light was already bright enough to make the shadows disappear.

After the Badlands, the terrain flattened out into gently undulating hills and then flatter terrain as we drove east in south Dakota. Our only other notable stop was the Corn Palace in Mitchell. I'm serious--but can't load two pictures. But I'll share later. The facade of the corn palace has a number of murals reconstructed each year from different colored corn cobs.

This evening we are at our destination in Omaha, Nebraska. I think we've managed to drive about halfway across the country to get here! The weather was great today-- warmer, and sunshine. Tomorrow we explore Omaha and tomorrow evening the Berkshire Hathaway events begin with a reception. Last year there were about 35,000 people here. I can't quite fathom attending a reception with that many people, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Meantime, you can enjoy this nice picture of the Badlands Park.

No comments: