Friday, April 10, 2009

Back to the beach!

We're back in Surfer's Paradise, glad to be where we can again get our daily walk on the beach and our cappucino at our favorite cafe. I tried to post a picture of me on the beach, but the dial-up computer access I'm using seems to be too slow, so I've given up.

The weather continues quite mixed. It's been overcast, with spells of sun each day, along with a little rain. Naturally today's rain came just as I was beginning my return trip from the cafe. Phil opted to take the bus. I went ahead and walked, and about halfway home the rain stopped, so at least I wasn't dripping wet when I got back to the apartment. Tonight we're going to check out a Thai restaurant near us, the beginning of our scan of the local eateries that are within walking distance.

I've been collecting some Aussie phrases. Shortening words is the order of the day, occasionally leaving us scrambling to figure out what someone is saying. Here are a few of my favorites so far:

Brekky (also spelled breaky) = breakfast
Swimmers = swimsuit
Servo = service/gas station
Avos = avocados
Muso = musician
Cuppa = what Phil and I do each day--having a cup of tea or coffee (the operative phrase is "would you like a cuppa?" or "we're be with you in a minute; we're just having a cuppa" (the latter comment from the hairdresser Phil went to in Gympie to get a haircut).

No worries, mates. We're getting the hang of this. She'll be right!

No comments: