Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Gentle Rollercoaster

The picture is from our hike to Snoqualmie Falls weekend before last (I'm having trouble getting the picture to load so will add it later)

Since my recovery on the BRAT diet, much water has gone under the bridge (only “so to speak,” not literally!) That following Monday, I took another one-day nosedive, after adding just two small changes to my diet—my Chinese herbs and a teaspoon of honey. Since I was terribly unscientific and added two things, I have no idea which thing caused the dive, but I experienced the worse day of diarrhea I’ve had. However with Lomotil and some Imodium, my system finally quieted down about 11 pm, and since then (that’s the rest of week 5 and now most of week 6) I have experienced only a couple of minor episodes. I have also been able to add several things back into my diet, so I’m not quite as constrained in my options. I am actually astonished that I have been able to do so well in this final phase of radiation. I have only one day of radiation to go! Unfortunately, the side effects stick with you for a week or so after you’re through, but I’m looking forward to a gradual lessening of that impact and a return to more normal eating in about a week and a half.

I have also kept up my exercise routine. In addition, on the weekend before last Phil and I went to Snoqualmie Falls and hiked down to the river (and back up from it, more tellingly). I include a picture from that venture. Last weekend we spent visiting our friends Bob Morrow and Judy Morrow, who own a ranch in Goldendale, just north of the Columbia Gorge. They raise an Italian beef called chianina, a tall animal with blond hide and delicious, very lean meat. I was reminded of how wonderful it tastes when we had one of their superb steaks during our visit. They sell all their beef privately, with a minimum purchase of half a cow. Now I really want to find 1 or 2 friends who might join me in purchasing this meat, which is raised much more carefully and healthfully than much of what I can find in the market.

We’re finishing up the plans for our trip back east. We leave on Monday October 6. I’ll probably get one more update posted before we leave. So for now, know that I am doing just great!

No comments: